ARMOUR OF THE 1st DIVISION OF ROA
There were about one milion Russian volunteers in the German army still in 1944 there.
In autumn 1944 two infantry divisions were formed from that men and creation of third such divison started. Due of material shortcomings of the end of war
only the 1st Division of Russian Liberation Army (Russkaya Osvobozhditelnaya Armiya, ROA) was fully trained, equpped and used in action.
There is a few informations about armoured vehicles in the 1st Division of ROA. Written sources
claim that there were nine tanks T-34 in division during it's forming in
Muensingen. Two of them were photographed on a parade in front of general
Vlasov, head of Russian anti-soviet opposition in Germany, and general
Bunyaczenko, the division's commander, on 10 February 1945. The tank in
foreground has a white number "2" uder the gun barrel and a shield divided horizontally white/blue/red from the top painted on the
- Two T-34/76 are passing a tribune on a parade in Muensingen,
Germany, 10 February 1945.
- Two crew members of a ROA tank T-34/76 with Russian national flag on a parade in Muensingen,
Germany, 10 February 1945. Horizontaly divided white/blue/red shield is clearly visible on the turret's side.
Walther Spielberger in his work on Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer writes, that
in February 1945 the 600th Inf.Div. received ten Hetzers (it means a
Panzerjaeger company). The 600th Infanterie-Division (russ.) was German
oficial name of 1st Division of ROA. There is no evidence of using armour in division's first action against
soviet bridgehead Erlenhof, near Fuerstemberg, Germany, on 13 April 1945.
There is no evidence about armoured vehicles during division's retreat to the
south from Lusatia too. Till division marched on Czech territory unidentified
armoured vehicles are noticed from villages Radonice, Citoliby, Brdloh, Divice,
Rocov, Vinarice and the town Louny. In the afternoon of 5 May 1945 the 1st Division
of ROA left the German army and joined Czech patriots. Russian soldiers in German uniforms
started their advance to help Czech uprising in Prague.
- Two RSOs type 3 with Pak 40s attached and a truckload of ROA soldiers on a ZiS 3 hailed by Czech inhabitants in Beroun in rainy 5 May 1945.
When division advanced to Prague from Beroun
on 5 May 1945, there were two columns which contained armoured vehicles:
southest column, advancing along left banks of rivers Berounka and Vltava,
contained two T-34/76 tanks, three BA-10 armoured cars and a SdKfz 251/16
flame-thrower half-track. The unit which they belonged to was identified as
divisional recce troop, commanded by major Kostyenko.
Both tanks and armoured cars were painted in one overall colur,
probably green. One of the tanks has a white number "3" (or a letter "Z"
in Cyrillic) under the gun barrel as the only marking. One of the BA-10
armoured cars has got the same symbol on the side door.
A SdKfz 251/16
was left in original German camouflage and the only known marking is a
registration table WH-108502 on lower part of frontal armour.
- An armoured car BA-10 and a Volkswagen Kaeffer in
Prague-Smichov on 6 May 1945 at dawn. Major Kostyenko's reconnaissance
troop enters Prague.
- A T-34/76 of the 1st division of ROA enters
Counts of Kinsky Square in
Prague Smichov, on 6 May 1945.
In the northest column, advancing on Beroun-Prague road, where
divisional 3rd and 4th regiment marched, were at minimum three Hetzers. They
were painted in three-colour stripe scheme.
On sides were marked by white letters "POA". The shape of letters was
the same as on sleeve badge of Russian volunteers in Wehrmacht. One of
them has on lower part of frontal armour painted small black serial number
2543...(?) and a small white letter "A" under the gun barrel.
A Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer in Dusniky (recently part of Rudna, east of
Prague) escorting units of 3rd and 4th regiment during theirs advance to
Prague in the morning of 6 May 1945.
||- Thee Hetzers of the 1st ROA Division on their advance towards Prague. They are camouflaged with foliage.
There were about 30.000 armed Czech patiots in Prague, who manned about ten
captured anti-aircraft trains, two Hetzers with only 20 rounds together, six
unarmed armoured Hetezer chassis, three Renault AMR 1935 tanks armed with
machine guns only and about ten half-tracks and other armed vehicles. Against
them stood SS-Kampfverband Wallenstein (which consisted from SS-Kampfgruppe
Klein and SS-Kampfgruppe Joerchel) from the south, Kampfgruppe Milowitz and
Kampfgruppe Reimann from the east, Kampfgruppe of 2nd SS-Panzergrenadierregiment
"Der Fuehrer" from the north and mixed German garrison in Prague. Nazi forces
manned about eighty armoured vehicles, including about ten StuG III and about
In this situation arrival of more than 20.000 men strong 1st Division with
four infantry regiments, tanks and artillery was very welcomed by military
authorities of Czech patriots. The presence of the 1st Division of ROA in Prague
on 6 and 7 May was the crucial moment thanks to it Prague uprising could
survived the heaviest German attack on 7 May 1945.
During fights side by side with Czech patriots from 6 to 7 May 1945 division's
2nd regiment stopped SS-Kampfgruppe Klein in Radotin-Lahovice area. 3rd
regiment attacked Prague-Ruzyne airport and avoid Luftwaffe to use them
against Prague. 1st regiment with recce troops crossed Vltava river and
halted SS-Kampfgruppe Joerchel in Prague-Pankrac. 4th regiment captured
Petrin Hill and fought in the Old Town.
||- Bartolomejska Street in the Old Town in Prague in the afternoon of 6 May 1945. A SdKfz
251/16 which was used by 1st Division envoy major Arkhipov, commander of
the 1st regiment, when conferred in military headquarter of Prague patriots (HQ
Bartos) on action for the next day. Registration table WH-108502 on lower part of it's frontal armour is hardly visible.|
- A Hetzer in Walter
factory in Prague-Jinonice, where headquarter of 1st Division of
was located on 7 May 1945.
||- Hetzer with tricoloured stripes on it's side behind a barricade in unknown place in Prague, Czechoslovakia, May 1945. |
- Two T-34/76 tanks advancing together with Czech patriots against German forces in Prague-Pankrac, 7 May 1945.
field howitzer of 1st regiment in Prague-Pankrac, near todays Hrdinu
Square, 7 May 1945. |
- An MG-team of the 1st regiment in firing position
in Prague-Pankrac. Note white cloth stripes around helmets - a
distinguishing mark during fights in Prague from 6 to 7 May 1945.
||- Field kitchen of 4th regiment in Counts Kinsky Square in Prague
in 7 May 1945. At the same place a monument of soviet tankers was erected
two months later. |
||- Soldiers of 1st regiment manned in Prague-Vinohrady and
Prague-Strasnice an unidentified armoured car. It was probably this SdKfz
234/4, which stood abandoned on Charles Square after the end of war.
When it became clear, that general Patton's 3rd US Army was definitive
stopped by politicians in Pilsen, 40km southwest from Prague, that Prague should be
captured by soviet troops and that political leadership of patriots (Czech
National Council, Ceska narodni rada), controled by communists, is not
pleased by the 1st Division presence in Prague, the Division left the city
back to the Beroun in the evening of 7 May. From Beroun the 1st Division
retreated via Horovice, Pribram to Lnare. On the road it's soldiers were
warmly welcomed by Czech inhabitants as savers of Prague.
Division reached American lines in Lnare in the afternoon of 9th May,
too late to be captured in WWII. On 12th May the division was encircled by
soviet 25th tank corps. Officers were shot down immediately as many of
NCOs and soldiers were and rests of them were send to concentration camps
||- A Bergepanzer Hetzer during retreat on the road from Prague to Beroun at 9 May 1945. A still form colour motion picture made by an American war correspondent published on the Critical Past website.
||- On the same film a column of RSO tracked prime movers with Pak 40s guns attached had been filmed
||- A march of the 1st Division to the West through Beroun. A still form colour motion picture made by an American war correspondent published on the Critical Past website.
||- Two Hetzers of the 1st Division of ROA passing through Horovice, south-westwards of Prague on 9
May 1945, during retreat to the west. |
||- A Bergepanzer Hetzer in Horovice on 9 May 1945. On the original
photo letters "POA" on it's side are clearly visible.
||- Three BA-10 armoured cars in Pribram, south of Prague, 9 May
1945. On the original photo a number "3" on the opened door of the vehicle
in foreground is clearly visible. Note the lack of any marking on vehicles
in background. |
||- A T-34/76 of Division's recce troop in Pribram on 9 May 1945.
||- The same Hetzer as in Horovice above, here in Pribram on 9 May
||- A sleeve badge of Russian volunteers in Wehrmacht. The Badge,
designed in 1943, was worn on left-hand sleeve of uniform. It was used by
soldiers of 1st division of ROA too, although it was not a particular
divisional emblem. In the 1st Division of ROA the badge was usually worn
on right-hand sleeve. |
Numbers of armoured vehicles in the 1st Division of ROA.
|Type of vehicle
||Number in written
|Captured by Soviet|
25th Tank Corps
|JPz 38 Hetzer
|Sd Kfz 251
|Sd Kfz 234/4
|A leaflet "Brothers Czechs and
Russians" typewrited in Divisional HQ on 5 May 1945. It sais, that the 1st
Division of ROA will fight as against nazi Germany as against communist
USSR (written both in Czech and Russian languages). |
Anders, Wladyslaw: Russian Volunteers in Hitler' Army 1941-1945.
Auski, Stanislav A: Peredatelstvo i izmena. Globus,
San Francisco 1982.
Ausky, Stanislav A.: Vojska generala Vlasova v
Cechach. Vysehrad, Praha 1992.
Cvancara, Jaroslav: Nekomu zivot, nekomu smrt III. LAGUNA, Praha 2007.
Drobjazko, S.- Karaszczuk, A., Russkaja
osvoboditelnaya armija. AST, Moskva 1998.
Jakl, Tomas: Jagdpanzer 38(t)
Hetzer v Praze, v kvetnu 1945. Historie a vojenstvi #
POA,KOHP, ROA, KONR
Roucka, Zdenek: Skonceno a podepsano. ZR&T, Plzen 2004.
Spielberger, Walter J.: Leichte Jagdpanzer. Motorbuch Verlag,
Zacek, Pavel: Obrnena vozba ROA v Praze. HPM #
HPM # 11/1995, 9/1996, 4/1998, 7/2003.